Tuesday, December 29, 2009

April 20, 2002 - Erin & Aunt May


I started taking piano lessons from May Harrow when I was in 5th grade. She was always a magical person to me... She was a magnificent pianist with wonderful stories to tell about her incredible career. Her husband, Lenny, made our lessons extra special, always coming downstairs to tell jokes or bringing his violin to play duets with us. Sitting at May's pianos for lessons was a true treat.  I started taking lessons from her again when we moved back to New Jersey in 1998 and continued until just before Erin was born.  I took Erin for a lot of visits with our beloved Aunt May, and it was incredible to see each of them light up in each other's company. Aunt May gave Erin her first "lessons" as soon as she was old enough to sit at the keyboard, and was delighted to hear that we'd started her regular lessons. After an 80-year career as a piano teacher, voice coach, and performer, we lost our Aunt May in August 2007. Her loss still brings tears to my eyes, but the memories that she gave us all will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment